Swimming Pools – Common Maintenance Problems
There’s nothing like spending a long day poolside, soaking up the sun and enjoying time spent with family and friends. This summer you’re sure to host many a weekend barbecue or pool party, and naturally you’ll want to keep your swimming pool clean and functioning properly as much as possible. It’s important, therefore, to be on the watch for the most common maintenance problems associated with owning a pool. This way you are able to head off problems and handle them so they don’t interrupt your summer enjoyment.
Be on the watch for these and other maintenance issues that could disrupt your poolside relaxation.
1) Chemical imbalance – It’s important to check your pool’s water chemistry on a regular basis. If you own or maintain a pool, have it checked more than once a week during peak usage to ensure that the water is safe for swimming.
2) Imbalance of pH – When the pH of your water is too high it could risk rendering the chlorine used in your water to not work as well. You want to be sure nothing impedes the cleanliness and safety of your pool water, so be sure to keep the pH levels between 7 and 7.5.
3) Clogged skimmers – When you neglect to clean the skimmers on a regular basis, you may find hair and dirt and other waste gets caught up in the system. This can result in decreased water circulation, which in turns causes stagnation and risk for germs in the water. Check the skimmers regularly to clean them out.
4) Neglect of tile and liners. Just because your pool liners are constantly submerged in water doesn’t mean they’ll stay clean. Keep an eye out as you swim and check for algae growing on the pool walls – this is more typical if you have water circulation problem. Also, watch your tiles in and out of water for chipping and leaks that could lead to greater damage.
5) Frequent debris in pool – Nobody likes to come outside to find branches, leaves and other unwanted things floating on the pool’s surface. Skimming out all this stuff is time-consuming, but if you leave them alone you could encounter clogging of skimmers and drains. Investing in a pool cover when the pool is not in use is one way to keep out the bad stuff.
The more you know about taking care of your pool, the less time you’ll spend worrying about it. Enjoy the summer!
Stop by one of our pool supplies stores to when you are looking for Norfolk pool supplies or Chesapeake pool supplies. Aqua Leisure Pool and Spa offers a wide variety of pool equipment and services to all the residents of the Hampton Roads.